Tuesday 15 May 2012

me and camping, another rant


Me and camping.

I like camping, as I love to be in the nature and love to be outside.
I love the smell, the freedom and the fact that it really unwinds me.
It relaxes me that much that I can start dreaming again, I love it.

There is camping and camping, and I don’t like all.

I hate campsite's that look like truck stops, where you neatly park side by side, and you can use the pins from your neighbour to secure your tent.
I have been at a place in Holland, where you really could not see anything other than tents and caravans. Looking over the roofs of tents and caravan you could see some nature.
I had to stay there 7 days, as it was already paid for. . . .
One off the greatest trips we have made, was a round trip through Scandinavia, by car.
We did that with a Reliant Robin, and had the weirdest stories, even came in newspapers.
As we were the first to round the Baltic Sea with a 3 wheeled car.
We were at the Trondheim toll ports for a tunnel, and I ask this bloke if we had to pay.
As motorcycles were free to enter, and cars are not.
So after my unexpected question the bloke says; sure you have to pay, it is a car, isn’t it?
So I told him it was registered as a motorcycle with side car, and I had only a motorcycle license, showing him my license.
We both saw him reach for the phone to ask his superior, and this made him think.
“How on earth am I going to explain my boss, that I am really seeing a 3 wheeled car”
He doesn’t say a word, and signs us to drive, with a shaking head he is seeing us off on the road.

We ate fish fresh from rivers, had various fruits from the forests, and slept at wonderful places.
All the places we camped out on, were in the middle of nowhere, as one can camp there 1 night only in almost every spot.
In Holland it is forbidden to set up camp, other than in campsites, there they do have campsites, but you can also camp in nature.
And so we did, being Dutch and more. It is so nice to just camp out at a river or a pond, with nobody to be seen.
It is a great experience really feeling on your own, I am sure you would love this too.
When we came back and entered the Netherlands again, we got a call from a friend, inviting us for one night in a camping in Assen.
Now here is what happens in a Dutch campsite in Assen.
When we arrived there, we had to set up camp in a place around 1000 sq Metre, which had 14 camp spots. All but one were taken, and that is where we had to set up our camp.
We had places for our own that were much larger, in the free of Scandinavia !
As soon as you drive in the neat and square place, everybody gets out of their tent or caravan, to see the new arrivals. At least half gets a drink, and sits on a chair to watch the spectacle of someone setting up camp. They seem to have hunger for seeing someone fight over setting up a tent or a caravan.
Well, as we used to set up camp every day, we had everything set up in 15 minutes, tent including table bedding and what have you. And the coffee was ready as well.
The spectators all crawled back in their tents and caravans, disappointed that there was not one word spoken hard or loud. Smooth !!

At night, around 03:00 I had to pee, and went to the toilet.
In the day time I already felt paranoia almost, for every look everywhere you take are people.
We were on our own for 3 whole weeks, and only spoke to each other, or enjoyed the silence.
So forgive, it is natural, I hope.
So I was taking a leak at a toilet building around 03:00 and guess what, left and right of me were people !!!
I wanted to go home or drive off right that instant!
Other than having no privacy, there are more things that I can’t stand while camping out.
That is, when we are on a camping that is.
Showers, I hate the average shower at a camping, for it is not clean or nice to be.
So what happens if you really have to shower, they have those things that you have to put a coin in.
If you do that, you can shower for about a minute or 5 maybe, and then you have to walk to the dry part where your clothes are to put in another coin.
So after wetting the place you wanted to put on your dry socks later, you can yet shower again for 5 minutes.
Mind you, I have long hair, very long hair for a man and I want to have it clean and nice.
So, getting it wet and shampoo it takes 5 minutes, then rinse and wash again takes another 5.
And I like using conditioner, so another 5minutes later. . . .  
I still have to wash my Willy!!!

So now we go to camping where you can shower for free, even if it costs 5 euro more per day, at least you are relaxed when taking a shower.
Guess what, for economy reasons the shower runs 6 minutes, and then stops for 4 before you can shower again. . . . .
I hate camping !!!

Then again, in the days I do not take a shower, I write at least 4 pages per night.
So !
I shouldn’t bother taking a shower, stinking up the place or not, get relaxed and enjoy nature.

And write !!!

Yours truly

Bart J. Meijer

2 comments: